Brain-Friendly Teaching for the 21st Century
Teach the way brains learn best!
Put brain science to work
Allow learning to flourish
Practical & Applicable
Structures make it easy
6 Key Principles
Apply in every session
We have a choice: we can teach the way we always have and ignore the latest research and brain science, or now that we are in the 21st century, we can embrace scientific knowledge and teach the way the brain likes to learn. Teaching as per last century is like swimming against the current: teaching can be exhausting, students learn less, and don’t enjoy school as much as they could – especially some of our more interesting students.
However, when we teach the way the brain best learns, teaching is more effortless and our students learn more and enjoy coming to school.
Come and turn on your brain in this active brains-on, interactive workshop.
Perfect for anyone who is teaching this century!
You will learn:
- the six principles of brain-friendly teaching in a way you will never forget (across the 2 days*)
- the scary scientific terms about the brain but in ‘english’
- how to maximise learning using brain science
- what happens in the brain during class activities
- to master Kagan Structures to make every teaching session brain-friendly
- how to create a safe learning environment where learning, thinking, and creativity flourish
- about the stimuli that enhance comprehension and retention of content
- to target specific brain centres to meet specific needs
- how to nourish the brain
Increase student motivation and achievement through creating your brain-friendly classroom.
*This is Day 1 of a 2 day workshop where we cover all 6 principles in detail. Day 1 will introduce all 6, so is a stand alone day.
You will receive:
- Brain-Friendly Teaching book
- Brain=Friendly Teaching course workbook
Brain-Friendly Teaching Day 1 22.03.17 8.30 – 3.30
Day 2 to be confirmed with attendees
Host a Kagan workshop
1-20 participants $1500 plus
21-50 participants $1500 plus
51-99 participants $1600 plus
100+ participants $1800 plus
- These prices are for school-hosted workshops (school provides venue, catering, and covers trainer travel expenses where applicable)
- All teachers are required to purchase the book “Brain-Friendly Teaching – Tools, Tips, and Structures” valued at $79 but the workshop special price is $64!
- Teacher Aides attending training with their school are not required to purchase the “Brain-Friendly Teaching – Tools, Tips, and Structures”
- All prices include the workshop workbook
- Prices details: Base-fee plus the per person price, plus the Kagan text (where applicable – usually on the first day only)
- Book more than one day for the year (ie Days 1 and 2) and receive 10% discount
- All prices are exclusive of GST (NB “Brain-Friendly Teaching – Tools, Tips, and Structures” is GST inclusive)
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm new to Kagan - can I still do the Brain-Friendly workshop?
Yes you can, as it is a stand-alone workshop. We do use Kagan Structures from Cooperative Learning to deliver the workshop, but we also teach you new structures specifically for the Brain course.
We ensure you leave with everything you need to start teaching in a more brain-friendly the next day.
Who should attend this workshop?
To be honest – every teacher! But particulary those that are in a ’21st Century school’.
Do I have to do both days?
Yes, because the content straddles both days. We can’t possibly do all six principles in one day.
To do justice to each area of focus and to ensure you leave with the skills to start creating a more brain-friendly environment straight away, we need the time to practice and process structures and strategies.
In fact, there are actually four days in total to this workshop – we are looking to offer Days 1-4 in the October 2017 holidays. So if you have already done the first two days, you could join us for the last two days then.
What other support do you offer?
We offer Kagan Coaching and strategic planning sessions with school leaders including implementation plans. Kagan Coaching for this workshop means we would meet with you and plan and co-run or model a meeting with you.
What about Kagan resources? What ones do we need?
We would advise everyone to buy the Kagan Coopertative Learning book (BKCL) if you don’t already have it in the school. This book is extremely comprehensive and is a fantastic resource. It includes FAQs, research, structures, social skills, resources, activities, classbuilding, teambuilding and lots more.
We would definitely recommend the following:
Silly Sports and Goofy Games; Team Mats; Classbuilding Questions, Teambuilding Questions; and the Megatimer if you don’t have a visible timer.
How many teachers can you train at once?
We can train as many as required dependent on the size of the venue. The more the merrier is always our approach, as you then truly experience how effective Kagan is as a teaching strategy – same directions for any number.