Informational reading – from texts to websites to the newspaper!
Research and Rationale
Non-fiction no longer means ‘true’
Critical thinking curriculum-wide
Utilise multiple methods to engage and apply
Structures, Tools and Strategies
Arrive with some, leave with many!
Are you at all concerned what your students are reading on the internet, thinking it is the truth?
Are you students able to tell the difference between opinion and fact?
Are they at all discerning about where they get their information from for their inquiry?
Is their level of vocabulary such that they even understand what they are reading?
These are interesting times, and it is vital that students can properly deal with informational texts.
Luckily, this workshop is here to help with all of that! If you are looking to improve your teaching and learning programme to increase your students’ knowledge and skills around informational texts, then this day is not to be missed.
Highly interactive – we walk the talk! No ‘sit and get’ in one of our workshops.
You will learn:
- why we need to teach informational texts
- how to engage your students through fun, interactive, multi-modal instruction
- easy strategies to develop and learn curriculum-specific vocabulary
- what makes informational text more complex
- hwo to teach important text features
- how to teach and develop crucial skills such as conceptual thinking and inductive reasoning
- the benefits and applications of graphic organisers for HLT
- a range of strategies and structures to fully engage, scaffold and support all students
Ensure all your students know what they are reading, who it’s by, what they mean, and what is the author’s intention.
You will receive:
- Vocabulary – Making it Memorable
- Effective Vocabulary course workbook
No workshop planned at this stage, however, we are thinking of putting together a tri-fecta of:
Reality Reading; Reading Between the Lines; and Effective Vocabulary Instruction
This would be in the first term holidays.
Host this workshop at your school!
1-20 participants $1500 plus
21-50 participants $1500 plus
51-99 participants $1600 plus
100+ participants $1800 plus
- These prices are for school-hosted workshops (school provides venue, catering, and covers trainer travel expenses where applicable)
- Teacher Aides are invited to attend training with their school
- All prices include the workshop workbook
- Prices details: Base-fee plus the per person price
- All prices are exclusive of GST
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm new to Kagan - can I still do this workshop?
Yes you can, as it is a stand-alone workshop. We do use Kagan Structures from Cooperative Learning to deliver the workshop, but we also teach you wonderful new structures and strategies specifically for effective teaching around informational texts.
We ensure you leave with everything you need to start engaging all your learners in higher levels of oral language, and critical thinking the next day.
Who should attend this workshop?
To be honest – every teacher! But particulary those that feel their students are hindered by their lack of understanding and HLT skills as they pertain to informaitonal texts. This workshop is suitable for primary to early secondary teachers.
What other support do you offer?
We offer many other workshops, such as our foundational “Structures for Active Engagement” as well as a wide range of resources in most curriculum areas and many that are cross-curricula.
What about Kagan resources? What ones do we need?
We would advise everyone to buy the Kagan Coopertative Learning book (BKCL) if you don’t already have it in the school. This book is extremely comprehensive and is a fantastic resource. It includes FAQs, research, structures, social skills, resources, activities, classbuilding, teambuilding and lots more.
How many teachers can you train at once?
We can train as many as required dependent on the size of the venue. The more the merrier is always our approach, as you then truly experience how effective Kagan is as a teaching strategy – same directions for any number.
And there is so much more knowledge and experience in the room!